Residential Peak Reduction Program
Receive up to $40 each year by enrolling in the Residential Peak Reduction Program.
This program provides your household the unique opportunity to save money and promote energy reliability for all Appalachian Power customers. By participating, you will help reduce stress on the electric grid when demand is at its highest. When you enroll, a device is installed near your outside central air conditioning unit. During a limited number of peak demand periods, which typically occur on the hottest days of summer, Appalachian Power will activate this device to adjust your air conditioner's compressor to run at 50 percent cycling. During cycling events, the fan that circulates air inside your home will continue to run. Potential temperature change during your cycling events depends on a variety of factors including the temperature outside and the home's insulation.
- Up to $40 per year ($8 for each month you are enrolled during May through September) for each central cooling unit participating in the program. The rebate is paid to you at the end of each summer season.
- A program device installed near your outside central air conditioner. There is no additional cost for the device and installation. You do not need to be home at the time of installation.
- You must be an active Appalachian Power or American Electric Power customer in Virginia.
- Your home must have central air conditioning in good working condition. Window and wall air conditioning units do not qualify for the program.
- You must own your home or have the property owner's permission to participate.
- Participation is limited to coverage area.
Have a question? Check out our FAQs and see if we can help!
Click here to sign up, or call 1-888-261-4567.